Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sometimes I wish I was a little bit nerdier...

Sometimes I wish I was a nerd. Someone who always wanted to be reading the news, or reading educational books or exercising my mind with things like crossword puzzles... but no, I'm all interested in hanging out with friends, going to movies, exploring charleston, traveling, having fun... its nice and all, but I really wish I was more interested in nerdy topics like astronomy, history or science... then I could actually be feeling like I was doing something useful with my time.

I feel like I have no hobbies. I try to run but I dread it every time, I try to read but then I get sidetracked with other things going on around my house, I try to knit but then I stop and never finish, I try to cook but then I spend too much money... its so annoying. Also, its not like I don't have anything to do. I have tons to do. I have a huge amount of projects coming up that are due and I keep putting them off! For no reason! Especially now that Drew's gone, I have no reason to get my homework done during the day anymore so I can spend time with Drew in the evening... I just wait till nighttime when I'm too tired and want to fall asleep!

I wish that I could be putting off my homework for a valid reason, like I'm too busy doing research about whales, or I'm too busy with meetings for this club I'm involved in, or I'm too busy gardening or I'm too busy getting in shape for a triathlon... but no, I'm too busy talking with friends or blogging or facebooking or going out to eat or making cookies or playing with my cats.  If I was a nerd, I would actually enjoy doing homework and projects and going to class... plus, during my free time I would actually be doing something useful for my brain... I am so incredibly frustrated with myself today. UGH!

And why did I even write this blog about how frustrated I am, instead of getting things done?!! Something is seriously wrong with me today...

9 comments:

  1. Laughing so hard at this... but i agree on a lot of points.. but at the same time eating and making cookies and movies and playing with cats are all pretty fun too

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i totally relate to this post. i love when you said you were too busy doing research about whales. AWESOME. thanks for making me laugh. i needed this post. we are so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you wrote this instead of coming to the library with me and being a studious student?!? see if i ever invite you to the library again!

    but really, i agree with the no hobbies thing--i hate that since i came to college i don't do anything! by the way, you and i ARE swimming laps at some point, i'll provide the once-piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha shannon ohh stop! you do TONS of school work and you work part time and you have a faabulous social life! i don't think you are obligated to do much more than that at this point in life!! you do have hobbies- having friends, being hilarious, riding bikes, dressing up your bf and going out, etc etc. you do so many amazing things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cooking is a hobby. You could learn to bake,that is hard and there are all these bloggers out there who blog about it so you could do that. You are good at blogging! Plus, I stink at baking so once you get good you can teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I think you miss Drew too! It's ok... I MISS DREW TOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. being un-nerdy is ok. and it's ok to prefer facebooking and blog stalking to homework and whale research.

    i myself feel this way sometimes, but then i remember that watching "keeping up with the kardashians" while blogging and eating junk food is way more fun than astronomy and being smart and studious :).

    ReplyDelete