Monday, November 16, 2009

Big sisters are bossy, but for some reason I love them.



I've always been quite the jealous little sister. Both of my older sisters are much smarter, more mature and way more motivated than I am or ever will be. You may think I'm just saying that but its true... there are studies that show that older siblings are smarter than younger ones... its okay, I've accepted it. They always seem to be five steps ahead of me in life, although I guess its because they're older, its still frustrating. Rita is the most organized, on-top-of-it, creative and witty person I know. Jessica is the bravest and most adventurous, goal-oriented person I know... and I'm just the little sister trying to live up to their amazingness.

Its always been so annoying to be the little sister, because your big sisters are always first in being able to do things, like picking the better room, sleeping in the bed instead of the floor at the hotel, getting the window seat on the airplane, and staying home alone.

Plus, they have a way of making you do things you don't want to do, its weird. They have a technique of phrasing things so you feel like you have no choice but to do it. My sisters have always bossed me around, just because they can, and I'm a pushover. Recently, I have actually been standing up for myself and saying no to them when they tell me to go upstairs and get their shoes (I know, its taken me 21 years to be able to fight back, how pathetic).

Oh yeah, they're also much better shoppers than me. I hate shopping so I always stole my sisters' clothes growing up. I get lazy and don't want to look for the bargains at Marshalls, so I go to the expensive stores and buy what's on the mannequin and then spend all of my money on one thing... so stupid. They always yell at me for buying stupid things that aren't even cute. When I'm rich I'm going to pay my sisters to shop for me, it will be fabulous.

Anyway, my sisters are pretty awesome, despite the fact that they take advantage of my passiveness and are complete overachievers... I have learned a lot from both of them and I would probably be a complete loser if it weren't for them telling me that my outfit looks stupid or that I don't know how to put on make up or take care of my hair. They have also taught me how to behave like a normal human being, and not make a fool of myself doing stupid things. Even though I still do that often, like when I set my hair on fire. They've taught me a lot of life lessons. I was always the kid who knew about "older people things" before my friends did, because I had big sisters who would inform me about stuff that I probably shouldn't have known about.

Even though they boss me around, at least they are the only people on earth who are not scared to tell me that I'm being an idiot or that I look stupid in that outfit. I look up to them both because they're my big sisters, and I want to be just like them! I always have...


family picture, 1988

7 comments:

  1. wish i had sisters. how lucky you are, because everyone needs someone to tell them they look stupid in an outfit sometimes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww, shantron..... scott wants to know if I told you to blog about me. It actually could take me pages to comment on this so I will just say, you are the coolest. Not sure if you realize this, but I admire you a whole hell of a lot. For reals yo.
    and btw, jessica is a much better shopper than I am. I will pay her to shop for me too, when I am rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. god i love this post!!!!!! soo sweet. your sisters sound amazing and i don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. i totally do all that to isabel though- i always get the front seat, phrase things so she'll do them for me, etc.. just comes with the territory i guess. love that family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a cute post!! i know how you feel..except i am the oldest..and must not be included in that "the oldest is the smartest and stuff" studies. yeah...guess that skipped me. although i am a twin.. maybe i really wasn't born first..and we got switched at birth? sigh. i don't know these things. anway, i know how you feel though! my sister is so talented and amazing and my little brother is awesome too. i don't know what happened. oh well.. anyway, thanks for sharing. you guys are too cute :) i love your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...makes a mother proud! Of course you are the favorite...oh no, I didn't say that! Just kidding!But I do love you very much and can't wait for you to be HOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any sisters, but my younger brothers were always willing to tell me that my outfits looked stupid :)

    That is seriously funny that you set your hair on fire! It's totally something I would do. I'm a complete klutz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon... yes I know I am little bit bossy but I have to say you turned out pretty amazing. I will only give myself just an itsy bitsy fraction of the credit- just kidding. By the way, in terms of clothing you are looking pretty cute these days with no help from me :).

    I do agree with Olivia that you aren't giving yourself enough credit: you are beautiful, positive, smart and so fun/funny to be around. I brag about you all the time. There are plenty of days when I am jealous you (in a good way). You can ask my roommate- everytime I read your blog I say to her- hey I wish I was doing that!

    I miss you mucho and I am looking forward to Thanksgiving. I will try to keep the bossing to a minimum- but I can't make any promises :) love you!

    P.S. When you are rich you won't have to worry about shopping at Marshalls.

    ReplyDelete